Join us for an informative workshop with Dr. Alan Wolfelt
Friday, September 18, 2020
Horan & McConaty
5303 E. County Line Road at Holly Street
Centennial, CO 80122
Free Program but must RSVP to attend to 303.745.1771 Option 3 email@example.com
Understanding Grief Overload: Principles and Practices
Purpose: This workshop will help members of the caregiving community explore the critically important topic of supporting people that experience too much loss. Grief overload occurs when someone experiences too many significant losses all at once or in a relatively short period of time. Our human minds and hearts have enough trouble coping with one loss at a time, but when a person has to integrate multiple losses simultaneously, the grief experience has many special features that both need and deserve attention. Come join us and have Dr. Alan Wolfelt take you on a journey into the lessons he has learned when supporting people that have encountered grief overload.
Who Should Attend: This compassionate workshop will help anyone who wants to learn more about how to support those who have experienced grief overload. Counselors, psychologists, social workers, chaplains, nurses, and other interested health care professionals helping individuals cope with drug-overdose deaths are encouraged to attend. Regardless of your specific job title or life role, you can and will benefit from this learning experience.
Upon completion of this workshop the participant will be able to:
• Demonstrate sensitivity to the special features of grief overload.
• Explain the essential ingredients of the grief caregiver
• Describe the different forms of grief overload.
• Understand the various dimensions of response to grief overload.
• Learn a model to “companion” not “treat” the grief overload survivor.
Among the content areas to be explored in this workshop are the following:
• Introduction: Acknowledging the Importance of the Topic
• Definition of Grief Overload • Essential Ingredients of the Grief Caregiver
• Understand the Different Forms of Grief Overload
• Acknowledge Grief Overload and COVID-19
• Reviewing Potential Dimensions of Response
• Introduction to “Companioning” Versus “Treating” Grief Overload
• Facilitating Six Central Needs of Mourning
• “Reconciliation” Versus “Resolution” of Grief
• Warning, Challenge, Reminder, Hope
About the Presenter: Dr. Alan Wolfelt has been recognized as one of North America’s leading death educators and grief counselors. His books have sold more than a million copies worldwide and have been translated into many languages. He founded the Center for Loss in 1984 to offer education and support both to grievers and bereavement caregivers. He is known around the world for his compassionate messages of hope and healing as well as his companioning philosophy of grief care. Dr. Wolfelt speaks on grief-related topics, offers trainings for caregivers, and has written many bestselling books, including Too Much Loss: Coping with Grief Overload, and other resources on grief for both caregivers and grieving people.